This was originally a Paleo recipe. But seeing that I do not follow that diet and I couldn’t find coconut amino’s and tapioca starch, I goggled/facebooked and got the substitutes for what I could use in replacement.
What I ended up with a totally delicious and healthy dish.
Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli (please note that any changes/notes be in black font)
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 5 hours 30 mins
Total time: 5 hours 45 mins
Serves: 4 (I doubled the recipe)
1lb boneless chuck roast, sliced into thin strips (I could not find chuck roast at the any of the supermarkets I went to and I hit up Aldi’s, Super Walmart, Lowes Food and 2 Food Lion’s, nada (I even asked the meat department people). So I used 2lbs of country style ribs, cut into thin pieces)
2 to 3 cups fresh broccoli florets (or, like I used, 1 bag frozen broccoli florets. Remember I doubled the recipe)
1 apple, thinly sliced (I also peeled it and I used 2)
1/2 cup beef stock (I used 1 cup)
1/3 cup coconut aminos (Ok, this is where I decided to vary the recipe. I couldn’t find coconut aminos anywhere I shopped, see the list above. I googled it and you can substitute soy sauce for it. So I did that. And since I doubled the recipe, I used 2/3 cup of soy sauce)
1/3 cup raw honey (I didn’t use raw honey, I used organic honey out of a bottle. Not that I think it mattered much…lol. And I used 2/3 of a cup)
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used minced garlic out of a jar and used 3 tsps of garlic….according to the directions on the jar)
1 tbsp tapioca starch (This is another thing that I couldn’t find in stores, must have been an off week…lol. I did look on Amazon and it was on there but I wasn’t willing to pay what they wanted. So, I googled again and found out that you can substitute tapioca starch with cornstarch. Which I had. And since I doubled, 2 tbsp)
How to make:
- In a slow cooker, combine together the beef stock, coconut aminos (or soy sauce), honey, garlic and sliced apple. Stir.
- Add the beef to the slow cooker and stir
- Set slow cooker to low and cook for 4 to 5 hours (I cooked 4 hours 30 mins)
- When the time is up, combine the tapioca starch (or cornstarch)with some of the liquid from the slow cooker in a small bowl. Pour it back into the slow cooker and stir well (I used 4 small ladle fulls of liquid and added the cornstarch, mixed it, added back to the crockpot and stirred well)
- Add the broccoli (don’t forget to stir!!) and cook for another 30 mins (Paleo Leap)
How many stars will I give Slow Cooked Beef and Broccoli? 5
Why? This was a great, protein packed meal. The honey and the apple gave it a ton of sweetness while the soy sauce gave it a bit of a bite. The broccoli was cooked just right, not soggy but crisp and it was bright green.
How did the kids and the man like it? B, Z and BK loved the dish. R liked the broccoli but didn’t like the meat.
Is it a keeper? Most definitely!!
Experience level? Beginner
Where to find this recipe: Paleo Leap